Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Do-It-Yourself-er

So this week I took both children to get their hair cut by someone other than me. I don't know why I feel I have to chronicle this momentous-only-to-me event, but here it is: The initial plan was to get Benjamin's hair cut, but take Ashlyn along so that MAYBE she might decide she would allow her's to be cut as well. It did turn out that after she saw that you get to sit in a car and when you are finished you are rewarded with a lollipop- she was willing! (Prior to the trim)Benjamin's hair has been described by his sister as "crazy hair" and I was in agreement. I found that I always had to have a comb on me, and that every hour or so I was needing to fix it again.It was NOT laying down the longer it got, it was always kinda messy.


So this lady proceeded to cut and clipper away without much input sought from me (that bothers me) and when she was finished she got it to stay by using a fair amount of gel. It looked okay... I thought I might have to take the scissors to it a little bit once we were home.


I was surprised that Ashlyn agreed to cut her hair... ever since she cut it herself she has been adamant about not having it cut at all. But she did amazing, she followed directions, stayed still better than I have ever seen her. After she had 4 inches cut and had the lollipop in hand, she was happy.


So after paying too much for these mediocre cuts we did our other errands. Benjamin's hair started to bother me more and more as the day progressed. I thought I'd see how it looked after I bathed him in the evening before I got involved. However, after his mid-afternoon nap I just couldn't take it any more. His hair has a way of always falling forward just minutes after you comb it to the side- well it was all foward and it looked like someone had weed-wacked his hair. It just looked so silly and as if he was bald on the sides and had long bangs in the front. So, YES, I did it, I got out the clippers and cut it myself! I tried using scissors but couldn't get him to stay still, so I used the clippers on the longest setting, and after the first pass I thought- "what did I just do!?" Once I did his whole head, I wasn't so upset with myself.


I find myself liking it more and more... it was the very best I could do after the haircut I paid for. I know at least my mother-in-law may be dissappointed because it is so short. It looks a lot blonder at this length (the last picture without the flash is to show this), and I don't even have to brush it- you have no idea how thrilled I am about that!! Anyway, what's done is done.

6 comments:

JoElla Reinhardt said...

UMMMM...I am 100% partial to little boys with buzz cuts. I think they are so practical and sporty...HELLO...David Beckham. Look how good he and his little boys look. Benjamin looks just as good...he is a fashion ICON if I have ever seen one! This is not the 1980's...bowl cuts are not in! He is so cute. Keep buzzin' it. It is definately the way to go, and when it grows out just a little bit you can put a little bit of product in it and he will look like the kid from Jerry McGuire! What a HOTTIE!

Jacquie said...

I think he looks adorable!

Jodi said...

I looooooove the buzz cut! :)

Jacy said...

Both hair cuts are sooo cute!

Lori said...

I love his hair like that. If we have a boy it is so going to be that way. It is just easier all the way around.

Stacia said...

Love the haircut and I'm with you on making it easier and paying WAY too much for haircuts. You are just braver than I am to cut it yourself. Stefan keeps telling me I need to learn how but I'm just scared of messing it up.

I miss you friend!