Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Sick of sick

I am sick and tired of my kids being sick! Really it would mostly be Benjamin... right now he has bronchiolitis from a virus- most likely the adenovirus. Life has not been real fun around here. I am having to give him respiratory treatments by nebulizer several times a day, giving him TONS of oral medications (which he immediately throws up nearly every time!), and trying to get him to sleep as much as possible. Thankfully he is sleeping now and Ashlyn wanted to watch Veggie Tails... otherwise I couldn't be writing. Poor Ashlyn SO BORED. We can't leave the house mostly b/c by the time we get ready to go anywhere it is already time for another nebulizer treatment. Also, we don't want him to catch ANYTHING ELSE!!

Nebulizer treatments

Paul was in Nashville last Thusrsday through Sunday so we went to Austin to stay with my parents. Saturday morning I ended up taking Benjamin to the ER b/c I felt like he was getting worse instead of better (I had taken him to the Dr before we left on Thursday) and he was just breathing so fast and sounding so wheezy that it was scaring me. They gave him a racemic epi respiratory treatment and he showed immediate improvement.


In the ER (notice how fun this is for Ashlyn)

The hospital we went to was the new Dell Children's Hospital which is really nice. My dad did a wonderful job of keeping Ashlyn occupied; since it was a children's hospital there was plenty of fun things to do, just not in the patient rooms.

So we made it back to my parents house just in time for the UT game- which was looking bad for Texas until I dressed Benjamin in his burnt orange. Once he was properly dressed the Longhorns started to play better and eventually won the game! Sunday came and Benjamin still had a fever, so he and I didn't go to church. I did however dress him in his Sunday clothes so my mom could get a picture of the kids on their front porch.

Even through all this... Benjamin can smile!

One more mention of health concerns: you may notice how tiny Benjamin is. He is now 5 months old and he has not gained any weight at all this entire month! We go back to the GI Dr tomorrow. I am feeling so helpless about this, all I know to do at this point is PRAY.

10 comments:

Mauri said...

I am so sorry about little Benjamin. Bless his heart (and yours!) He will certainly be in my prayers... keep us posted on what you find out! Love you....

Jodi said...

I too am so sorry about the sick little ones! Doesn't it just break your heart?!?! You guys are in my prayers, and I'll be checking in on ya. :)

Sarah J. said...

I finally found your blog info in my book this morning at Bible study... so I hijacked your blog to FINALLY add this banner. I may try and customize it a little more later tonight. Let me know what you think.

And we missed you this morning. I hope Benjamin is starting to feel better after all his treatment. It all sounds so familiar. Last year at this time, I was worrying about Brooks not gaining weight too... and he was sick so much over the winter. Definitely, let us know what you hear from Dr. E tomorrow. You are in our prayers!

Love you,
Sarah

Sarah J. said...

Okay, I'm done now. Hope you like it!

Jacquie said...

I hte yo hear that about poor little Ben. I hope he gets to feeling better soon!

Your new layout is adorable where did you get it?

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I'm so sorry about little Benjamin. I hate it that he's sick. (I can almost totally relate - no breathing treatments here, yet!) It's so hard as a momma to just sit by & watch them sick! I'll be praying for Benjamin (and mommy, too!)

Tamera & Cory said...

I hope that Benjamin is feeling a lot better these days! At least your Dad was there with you at the hospital...what a great Grandpa! I hope that you have been able to get some rest too, as I can only imagine how worried and stressed you have been. I wish that I was close enough to watch Ashlyn for a day so that you can rest! Keep us posted on how Ben is doing.

Jacy said...

I'm soooooo sry about Benjamin!! I hope he get's better and gains weight. I'll pray for him and you too. =)love ya'll

Charis said...

Benjamin is such a trooper! You wouldn't know he was feeling bad by the pic on your parent's porch. You guys will be in my prayers!

The Bickleys said...

You need to Blog about Paul's Birthday Surprise!! Thank you so much for the invite. Chad and I were serious when we told you we would watch Ashlyn and/or Ben...You guys deserve a break every once in a while :-)